Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sweet and Sour Cucumbers

These sweet and sour cucumbers are a snap to prepare and last in the refrigerator for days. They are delicious on their own, but also great on top of a salad (in lieu of dressing), or used in place of another moist vegetable like pickles or sauerkraut (I love them on a turkey sandwich).

Ingredients:
-3/4 cup of white vinegar
-3/4 cup of water
-3/4 cup of sugar
-2 fresh cucumbers, peeled and sliced
-chopped onions, if desired (I like to use about 1/2 a white onion)

Directions:
Combine vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan. Heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Combine with cucumbers and onions. Refrigerate, serve chilled. This lasts a long time in the refrigerator and is better if made a day or two ahead of serving.

3 comments:

  1. I just got some fresh, organic, slicing cukes at the farm this morning. I also got a bunch of wonderful, aromatic, fresh dill so I was thinking of cucumbers with a dill vinnegarette tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wonderful. Cucumbers in sour cream with dill is really good too. It sounds weird, but I love dill on top of popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes! I adore dill on so many things. I put it in soups and crackers too.

    ReplyDelete