I've always loved minestrone soup, but I've been avoiding it lately do to my allergies to legumes and gluten since most minestrones have beans and/or pasta. Finally I decided to give it a whirl, and I was very satisfied with the results.
- olive oil (2 Tbs)
- 1.5 white onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup diced or shredded carrots (I used bagged pre-shredded carrots)
- .5 bell peppers, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 3 ribs of celery, diced
- 1 14 oz can crushed or diced tomatoes (can sub fresh, I used a 16oz package of fresh that I diced myself)
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- spices as desired (I used a handful of fresh basil, along with liberal dashes of dried oregano, basil, dill, salt and pepper.)
- 4 cups water (this will give you a thick, stew-like consistency, add more water if you desire a more soupy consistency)
- 1 cup dry pasta (I used Ancient Harvest quinoa/corn pasta in rotelle)
You can add or subtract to the ingredients above based on your preferences or what you have available. Let me know if you have any favorites I missed!
Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until onions are translucent. Add carrots, zucchini and bell peppers and saute for another 5 mins. on low/medium. Add remaining ingredients except for pasta, simmer on low for 15 mins. or so. Bring to a gentle boil, and add in pasta. Simmer until pasta is cooked to desired consistency. Enjoy!